Thursday, June 2, 2011

2011 Cle Elum 50k/25k: Flood Damage and Possible Postponement or Cancellation

Unfortunately in mid May the Cle Elum race area suffered some severe flood damage to the roads and trails and the entire area is still closed to the public.  Since the damage occurred I've been having discussions with the Forest Service about the extent of the damage, the likelihood of the damage being fixed by race week and alternative plans if the damage has not been fixed in time for the race.  As of right now there still is not much certain, all of the roads leading into this area have been closed so the Forest Service doesn't even know the full extent of damage to our race route and the roads we would need to use for supporting the race. Plus there's still some snow on the higher elevations that might not be gone by race day thanks to the combination of very high snow fall this winter/spring and the unusually cool and wet spring. So all that said it seems quite possible that the race will not take place on June 25th as planned, instead the race will likely either be postponed to September 17th or be cancelled. 

The Forest Service and I will make our decision next week using the latest information available and I will let you all know as soon as that decision has been made.